Tuesday 19 August 2014

Unexpected shopping trip and one magical find...

Yesterday, I awoke early in the morning and decided to pursue a productive day of exercise and homework. That plan was abolished after I developed an urge to go on a shopping trip...but a very big shopping trip! I didn't fancy taking a stroll down to the local shops and seeing what I could find there; Instead, I felt like taking a trip to Meadow Hall and seeing what I could gather. After hours of persuading mum to drop all plans and take the train with me, she finally agreed! I knew that I wouldn't find anything truly vintage within such a modern shopping center but that didn't stop me from searching with all my might for items that held a classic or retro touch!
The first shop we came across was Urban Outfitters. This shop has always been classed in my eyes as absolutely INCREDIBLE. The interior of the shop always seems to excite me in ways unimaginable to the imagination, and the items within it hold the same sort of power. My favourite parts of this shop are the smaller, more hidden sections containing little knick knacks and trinkets. A rejuvenated and recycled table stood tall and had a number of books spread across it. Now, I am a keen reader if I find a book which intrigues me and challenges my mind but these books weren't primarily literary books- they were graphical, imagery books too. This was even better for me as I'm an extremely dedicated Graphic Design student. When my hand reached upon a book named '1000 record covers' I knew that this was the one for me for various reasons.

This is the magical find (aka. my latest pride and joy)



The cover attracted me straight away due to it's rainbow effect and bright, bold pattern. I love the simplistic typography and the white colour of the title in contrast to the statement background. As this book was sealed down in the shop, I almost bought it as a lucky dip. I didn't know what I was going to find when I looked inside it but I knew that I'd love it no matter what it contained. As soon as I got back on the train, I rushed to open it with my eager fingers and immediately discovered such beauty. The first couple of pages contained an overview of the 1960's (My absolute golden years). And that was when I saw it...the name of one of my favourite singers...the legendary PJ PROBY! I knew nothing else mattered if at least one of my boy's were mentioned inside this book, but I continued to read on. Many iconic vinyl covers were shown throughout every single year up until 1994. The first being 'Chubby Checker- For Twisters Only (1961)' and the last being 'Oasis- Definitely Maybe (1994)'. This book, in my eyes, shows me the progression of music from the 60's until recent years and also shows me the progression and changing attitudes on album design too. Whilst brighter, cheesier covers were shown earlier on; darker more sexually explicit covers came later.
I'm thoroughly excited to read the rest of this book and hopefully find some albums which I haven't ever set my eyes or ears upon yet. For a small price of £12.99, I now have something which will last me a lifetime and increase my passion furthermore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment