Tuesday 1 October 2013

Vinyl Junkie


Alphabetically ordered too...slightly obsessive Alice. 
I am extremely excited to say that this is my first official blog post everybody. HURRAH FOR ME! To suit the occasion, I have decided to blog about a topic which I am very passionate and enthusiastic about. This topic could be none other than the obsessive kingdom of...vinyl records! I absolutely adore collecting these and storing them in my bedroom. I have accumulated a few from my dad but these are mainly an array of 7" singles which range from Cilla Black to Johnny Kidd. Some of these records are perfect to listen to, but there is always the trouble of having to get up and change the record after every song as I don't have a stacking machine on my record player. This can become a bit of a hassle and so listening to LP's is my ultimate favourite. I have so many of these records; and most of them have a wonderful back story to them. My first ever LP vinyl was given to me by my mum and it was 'The Motown Christmas album'. Since then, I have only really become fond of original, single artist records- rather than various artist collections (they just have a sweeter, more authentic feel to them, don't they?).

The triple whammy of heaven.
Nonetheless, I do have three favourite records within my collection and I would love to share them with you. My top three selection consists of; Herman's Hermits, the legendary PJ Proby- at his very best and the legendary PJ Proby at his very best vol.2 (because what would volume one be without its sibling?).
These three records are constantly bellowing out throughout my house and they make for a perfectly happy mood. Firstly, Herman's Hermit's self proclaimed record has a variety of lovely, jolly tunes on it. To me, these tunes have a much different air to them than the rest of Herman's songs and this could be because they have a more romantic feeling. Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly in love with most of their songs but these less promoted songs have a definite edge. Now, I got my PJ Proby vol.2 LP before having the first volume...and I don't regret it one single bit! Having only heard my dad singing 'Hold me' at the top of his voice day in and day out- it became slightly addictive. So, when I saw this lovely creation in my favourite record shop in Lincoln- I just had to buy it for a reasonable price of £10. After becoming skeptical to whether I would enjoy any of his other songs, it became clear that this was the best LP that I owned and my parents knew just how much I my adoration would grow for him. It was a wonderful surprise when I opened a suspiciously flat, square present on Christmas day of 2012 and it turned out to be the first volume of the legendary PJ Proby. I immediately raced upstairs to listen to the songs and even though I thought it was impossible, this soon became my number one present of the year! The songs were so beautifully haunting that I stayed up until the early hours of the morning listening to them with my mum. I still cannot allow 'I've got my eyes on you' to grace my ears without getting a spread of goosebumps.

I wish I could stay and talk to you all night about these perfect albums, but I'm afraid an early night is in order for college tomorrow! I would adore it if you would take some time to listen to these artists- I think they deserve so much more recognition than they get and I just know they will manage to brighten up your day.

X


No comments:

Post a Comment